Saturday, April 5, 2014

Bunny food fudge


Oh my goodness I love bunnies. LOVE THEM, they are sooo cute! But sadly they are banned as a pet in my state, I guess 'cause word has it they breed like rabbits.

So no bunnies for me :(


But I'm not one to dwell on stuff I can't have so I've moved on and I created a recipe for bunny food fudge instead.

The fudge is a white chocolate and marshmallow base which I have flavored with a little raspberry.

And then colored yellow - I know, bit weird......I guess you can color the fudge a light pink instead of yellow or leave the raspberry out ( it will still taste good without the raspberry flavor). But it worked for me like this, I like raspberry and the yellow looked so pretty with my bunny ♥.



I've used the crispy M&M Easter eggs from Australia for my fudge as that is what I had sitting around. In the US you can use the Speck-Tacular egg range for a similar result, or actually pretty much any Easter eggs you have on hand.

Of course as an extra bonus this fudge will be perfect after Easter to use up any left over eggs you may have laying around.


Bunny Food Fudge
Makes 20 large pieces or 60ish small pieces - the ones in the picture are large. Once cut M&M eggs can start to lose their 'crispness'. I store mine in an airtight container and cut pieces off as required.
 
200g (7oz) white marshmallows 
1 1/2 cup white sugar
2/3 cup evaporated milk (not low fat)
1/4 tsp salt
500 g (18 oz ) white chocolate chopped into very small pieces
1/2 tsp raspberry essence*
 few drops yellow food colour (I use gel food colour) 
packet Easter eggs (I used M & M speckled eggs with crispy centre)
1 cup marshmallows extra cut into quarters (or mini marshmallows) for top

*do a taste test as there is a big variance between different brand and types of essences I used raspberry oil concentrate and only added 1/4tsp.

Line a 20cm X 20cm (8" X 8") square tin with foil.

Place the white chocolate into a largish bowl and melt in microwave at 50% heat for 3 minutes. Allow to rest a couple of minutes and then stir until smooth.

Pop 200 grams (7oz) marshmallows, sugar, evaporated milk and salt into a saucepan on medium low heat, stir until the marshmallows melt. Stir the mixture over the heat for another 5 to 7 minutes, do not allow it to boil.


Pour the marshmallow mixture into the bowl with white chocolate, add raspberry essence and yellow food colour and mix well until combined and the mixture starts to thicken.

Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin using the back of the spoon to level the mixture until it looks pretty smooth.

Press in the extra marshmallows and the Easter eggs. Add as much or as little as you like and then lightly press them onto the fudge to ensure they stick.

Cover with plastic wrap and leave overnight to set.

Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.



Linda Vandermeer is a blogger, baker, maker and author of the cookbook ' Sweets on a Stick': More than 150 kid friendly recipes for cakes, candies, cookies and pies on the go!. Published in the US the book is available at most online book stores.

Original Ideas, photography and recipes by Linda Vandermeer do not reuse without permission. 


1 comment: