Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Live love laugh and eat more cake New Years red velvet ruffle cake

These are my hands :)

WOW where did that year go?

I'm not really sure but I do feel like I did a lot this year and I've decided this coming year I'm gonna try and relax a little bit more.


and of course I made a cake to celebrate. Well actually I made this cake to match some dresses I bought the girls which are white and ruffled with a black velvet bow. I thought it would be cool to cut into the cake and have a contrasting cake so I used the red velvet cake recipe (double batch) from Sweets on a Stick: More Than 150 Kid-Friendly Recipes for Cakes, Candies, Cookies, and Pies on the Go!
.

It was supposed to have some pretty glittery silver round decorations around the black ribbon 'flowers'. However they were not to be....on the morning I was finishing the cake I went to attach the extra decorations and they had been demolished by my 3 year old.

Which will obviously teach me to leave stuff in the kitchen instead of the 'out of bounds' cake room.

Live and learn.

Or then I decided in keeping with my new relaxation mantra it should be live, laugh, love.....and eat more cake. Who cares if the cake has silver glittery balls, I just squished up some extra black ruffles to fill the spaces and it tastes just as good.



To see the method I use to make my ruffle cakes CLICK HERE - just use all white ruffles on a tallish round cake and then make up some extra ruffles in black. Squish the ruffles together and arrange on top of half the cake and then twirl some of the ruffles up to make ribbon flowers and glue (with edible glue) the flowers cascading down the side of the cake.

now I'm off to relax, and maybe eat some cake.


Top 2 photos and photo below by Naomi V Photography
Girls dresses by Mischka Aoki Couture I bought mine at Raindrops and Roses
Red Velvet cake recipe from Sweets on a Stick: More Than 150 Kid-Friendly Recipes for Cakes, Candies, Cookies, and Pies on the Go!

Yup that's me with Bubble and Sweet

8 comments:

  1. I love your decoration on this cake, and your matching dresses! What a wonderful resolution for the New Year..more cake, laughs and love! I hope you achieve it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely gorgeous! Love those delicate ruffles-like the thinnest, prettiest dress! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazing cake. Such lovely photos too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous cake! Doesn't need the extra balls at all. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. SO beautiful! You have the talent, the creativity, and the patience to impress me beyond words with every baking project you post!

    It's been a pleasure getting to know your blog this year!

    Catherine @ The Spring (in Brisbane)

    http://www.thespringblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. What stunning photos :) your cake looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This one is truly looking one of delicious cake. As the concept and design of this stuff are really looking adorable and great. It's really one of the great experienced source for me. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete