Thursday, December 1, 2011

Festive Macaron Rocky Road - or things to do with failed macarons


Yeah well this is one of those things that I thought of after a minor baking mishap.

I have been trying to work out a new recipe for chocolate macarons that is a bit more stable, I can't get the chocolate I used to use and so now sometimes the tops of the macarons go a little bit wrinkly.

And that makes me a little bit sad.


But only just a little bit sad because I am going to share something with you all about macarons. They don't have to be perfect (well unless your selling them to people then they should be). If you bake up a batch and you, your friends or family think they taste good I say that's a success whether they have perfect 'feet' or shiny even flat tops or not.

Anyway totally disregarding that little gem of wisdom I have just shared I was looking at my wrinkly macarons thinking hmmm, you know I wonder what I could do with all these not completely perfect macarons.

So this is what I came up with.

Rocky Road is so easy that the kids can help you make it, and don't despair if you don't happen to have any macarons sitting around I do have a macaron free version in my newly released cookbook Sweets on a Stick which is available here at Amazon.



Or the book depository (Click HERE)

Or here at fishpond (Aus/NZ)

Sweets on a Stick: More Than 150 Kid-Friendly Recipes for Cakes, Candies, Cookies, and Pies on the Go!



Festive Macaron Rocky Road - makes around 30 large pieces

350g (12.2 oz) melted white chocolate - I melt mine in the microwave on 50% heat for burst of 90 sec
150g (5.3oz)white marshmallow cut into pieces with kitchen scissors

1/2 cup pistachio nuts unsalted, shelled
2/3 cup dried cranberries
150g (5.3 oz) green macarons (unfilled or filled)

Line a 20cm square tin (8") with tin foil.

 In a large bowl mix the melted white chocolate, marshmallows, pistachio nuts and dried cranberries until evenly coated. Add the macarons and carefully mix in.

Spread into the prepared tins and leave until set. Once set turn out of the tray, remove the tin foil and use a sharp clean knife to cut into pieces.


Update - in my rush to share this great idea with you I missed saying that I did this up with MacTweets in mind, I have missed contributing to the month macaron MacTweets challenge quite a bit lately but with challenge Mac Attack #25 Seasons & Holidays Macarons was one not to be missed.

You should pop over to the site and check all the other lovely Mactweeters contributions to Challenge #25 in the new year.

12 comments:

  1. This looks delicious!!!! I will finally have to have another go at macaron making. At least this time I wont be at all disappointed if they don't work out exactly to plan...... just means more rocky road for me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great idea! And they look so festive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fab cover up :D haha mine are always a dud. This is a perfect way to fix

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fabulous idea for failed macarons. Love the white and green rocky road, this one's definitely a success! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE this idea so much! Failed macaroons can suddenly become the saviour to a rocky road :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perfect! My failsafe for whenever something goes awry is usually to trample it through ice cream... this is much nicer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've had Zumbo's Macacroni Road and it's delicious! And yes they use the less than perfect macaron shells for it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A genius idea for those pesky ugly mac shells. I am so enjoying your boo Linda. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brilliant idea for "bad" macs! This is absolutely beautiful! And it is really festive! Always love having you join us at Mactweets! And glad you found something beautiful to make with those macs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Perfect! It's a shame your macs didn't work out but great that you didn't waste them...like Tori I'd normally stir them through ice cream but this sound like an even better idea!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This has to be the perfect way to experience rocky road! Mishaps happen to the best of us and sometimes we can be too hard on ourselves. A few weeks ago I thought that I'd lost my macaron mojo and felt really sad but then when I was feeling a bit better about myself I made another batch and they came out perfect. I threw my less than perfect macs in the bin. Next time, I'm going to make your rocky road. Thanks:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the new blog look Linda, and congratulations on your 'sweet' book. It sounds great, as great as these fab rocky road macs look. This is an idea that I could use, given my many mac-disasters! Its lovely to have you over at MacTweets. Hope you had a great holiday season. Have a wonderful 2012!!

    ReplyDelete